Backup and hidden files?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Feb 26 16:32:10 EST 2000

Nor Tru64. On older Unix systems, the ls command used to be hard linked to
and ll, lf, and la such that when invoked with the ll command, ls would
assume the ls -l properties, ls -f and ls -al respectively.  If my memory
serves me correctly aliases where first instroduced into the C Shell which
obviated the need. On Most Unix systems this technique is done with the vi
command which is linked to ex and view.

Also note that the -i option gives you the inode number.
Scott Lanning wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Allan Sherman wrote:
> >  "ls -l"  OR "ls -al"
> >
> >(the "a" includes hidden files)
> >
> >In Unix, I just use "ll" but that is apparently not a standard
> >alias in Linux.
>
> FYI, it's not on the Irix or AIX machines I have access to,
> either.
>
> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group