troubles installing SuSE 6.3

Randall Hofland rhofland at gis.net
Fri Mar 24 00:18:33 EST 2000

FYI for those interested:

    I finally gave up for now installing a dual boot system but I have
discovered that while even SuSE notes that NT and their LINUX do not
cohabitate well they do have a fix for installing dual boot systems. I
have already successfully installed SuSE 6.3 on several of my Supermicro
P6DLS based systems now and all but my Web Server box have worked fine
(and wonderfully fast!). After struggling with a poorly designed GUI on
Supermicro's flash app I finally discovered that it is case sensitive
and seems determined to confuse you about fact that since it indcated it
was working fine even when I failed to correctly input the name of the
ROM file. Just a warning ....
    Anyways, the problem with my Web server board is a defective ROM.
Very interesting since it worked fine with DOS (required for the ROM
upgrade) but no MS Windows system (3.1, NT and W2K) and not even LINUX
would boot up properly. So there is 2 weeks of wasted time but a wealth
of useful skill and experience is gained. Now I wait patiently for the
new ROM while putting another board in place.

    So if this ever sounds familiar, check your cases!

-