Anyone have any comments on Earthlink DSL???

Henry Smith hjpsmith at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 29 13:36:13 EST 2000

Hello again,

Thanks to Jerry and to Steve. Was away for a couple of days so just getting
back to replying.

At 12:32 PM 10/25/2000 -0400, SteveK wrote:
>I current using Earthlink DSL, you have to read careful about this offer,
>they talk about the 1.5Mbps down and 128Kbps up depends on the Verizon.
>Earthlink is just a reseller,  actual DSL provided by Verizon. You can only
>get around 640Kbps (usually 500 Kbps). In the other words, you can use
>Verizon (free dsl modem, self installation $39.99/month) instead of
>Earthlink.

Thanks Steve, I will also take a look at Verizon per your suggestion. Glad
to hear that at least you don't have anything __very__ negative to say
about the Earthlink service, nayway <G> Since I have been using their
dialup for about 5 years I just may continue with their DSL  rather than
change all my mail lists etc. <G> I was aware that the speed may vary
depending on many factors. It seems that I am ~15000 feet from the nearest
"whatever-they-call-it" (can't seem to remember these things! <G>) so I
would notbe surprised if that does mean some slower uplinking speeds.
Thanks again,

At 01:20 PM 10/26/2000 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>First,
>There is a very wide disparity between the different DSL services. There
>also has been some discussion about the reliability of DSL (at least
>residential).
>WRT: Supporting various OSs. This means that their reps will not assist
>you in any problems which might be confirgurational. In other words, if
>your dhclient does not work and you are not running Windows or
>MacOS, then it's your problem.

Yes, thanks Jerry, was expecting that. Hopefully, it won't be too painful! ;-)

>WRT: The Linksys BEFSR41. I am very pleased with mine. I've got 5
>systems on my home network, 2 systems have static IPs (because I
>have some ports forwarded), and the other 3 are dynamic. That unit also
>supports PPPoE as well as IPsec. I have 2 (very minor) problems with it.
>1. My SSH sessions time out. Their support people emailed me a
>solution which didn't work. I have not taken time to followup on it.
>2. The host name is not captured in their connection list when the host is
>a Linux system with dynamic IP. It does capture the host name of the
>Windows system, so it appears to be a Linux DHCLIENT issue more
>than a Linksys issue.

Glad to hear that you like the Linksys. I was thinking of it for basically
the same reasons, it's small and easy to work with. (another post of yours
I think).

Interesting about the ssh sessions timing out, as this might be somewhat of
an issue for me. I will be doing some of that and when I do it is often for
a longer period of time. How long do you get before the timeout?

Cheers

Henry
-