identd processes

David Lapointe dlapointe at mediaone.net
Wed Sep 6 22:34:00 EDT 2000

I was still having problems with Netscape starting up really slow and  popup
warnings asking me to decide between removing the app and waiting for the
save-yourself process to be found.

This started after I put  a  residential gateway between my cable modem and my
home LAN.  Running the admin tool indicated just under 20 identd sessions going.

I stopped the identd and voila , no more startup problems with Netscape.

My question: do I need identd running?  I suspect there is a problem with it
and  the residential gateway.

 --
 .david
 David Lapointe