Setting-up and running APACHE server

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Tue Dec 4 13:00:04 EST 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Ali Taalebi wrote:
> Thanks to the help from David Kramer, twg3, Jerry Feldman, and et al,
> I installed Linux 7.2 on my desktop PC during the weekend.
>
> I was hoping that my Apache sever start working after this
> installation but it does not seem to be the case.
>
> I have not been able to locate the httpd.conf file to check its
> enteries, specially the line for "localhost".
> Where is httpd.conf is located in RedHat 7.2?

As I said that day, try
   locate httpd.conf

In order to start it, try as root
   service httpd start

You will get slightly more feedback if you do
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

You will probably get the most feedback from
   apachectl start
or
   apachectl startssl

Of course, also look in /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure for any
syslogged output.

On my 7.2 system (which will be wiped out by the end of the day), the
config files are in /etc/httpd/conf.  httpd.conf in that directory sets a
DocumentRoot of /var/www/html.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "That venture capitalists are willing to take any level of
DKK D  risk, even a modest one, after all that has happened in the
DK KD  ecommerce sector, is inspiring.  They might almost be
DDDD   capable of becoming Red Sox fans"               -Keith Regan