Sun SS4 Crashing

Jon ghia at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Dec 26 17:21:51 EST 2001

Hi,

I just bought a Sun Sparc Station 4 off of Ebay.  I loaded it up with
a fresh install of Solaris 2.5.1, CDE, Netscape (stand-alone) 4.79, gcc,
OpenSSH, and a whole bunch of standard GNU stuff from sunfreeware.com.

It ran fine until I installed the recommended patch set from
sunsolve.sun.com.  Once, I installed the patches CDE started (or
Openwin) crashing sporadically.  It seems to always crash when I use
Netscape (which wasn't a problem before I installed the patch set).  The
CDE crashes to the shell not to the OK> prompt.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jon