GnuPG compatibility issues

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Oct 31 17:20:12 EST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, E. Wiliam Horne wrote:

> To prepare for December's key-signing party, I've just downloaded GnuPG.
>
> The README file says: "Because GnuPG does not use use any patented
> algorithm it cannot be
> compatible with PGP2 versions.  PGP 2.x uses IDEA (which is patented
> worldwide)."
>
> So, to be sure we all can use the software, I think we need to revise,
> and discuss, the "which version?" issue.

GnuPG is the preferred version. Out of the box, it cannot interoperate
with the  ancient versions of pgp, due to patents on the "idea" cipher,
but you can download a plugin to fix this.

As I recall, pgp 2.x and Pgp 5.x are mutually incompatible at the
insistence of the FBI and NSA; I believe this was one of the conditions
they insisted upon before dropping their case against Phil Zimmerman, a
few years ago.

ICQ#28611923 / AIM abreauj / Email jabr at blu.org