Hard disks

Brian J. Conway bconway at wpi.edu
Fri Apr 19 14:17:00 EDT 2002

> So, what I would like to hear is reliability of Maxtor vs. Western
> Digital.

I have been burned so many times by Western Digital that I've stopped
RMAing their stuff because I know what they send me is going to break in
another 3-6 months (different machines, many drives, same story).  I live
by Maxtor and highly recommend them for IDE drives.  My only problem now
is that with the IBM Deathstar drives having a flawed manufacturing
process, I don't know whether to say "It was a Western Digital, wasn't
it?" when a friend's hard drive dies or blame it on IBM. =)  This is, of
course, my own personal experience, and I'm sure people's experiences vary
greatly.

Brian J. Conway
bconway at wpi.edu

"LINUX is obsolete"
     - Andrew S. Tanenbaum, creator of Minix - Jan 29, 1992