allowing scp but not ssh (here's how) (WHOOPS)

John Chambers jc at trillian.mit.edu
Sun Aug 4 12:27:55 EDT 2002

Derek D. Martin wrote:
| As I mentioned I would, I wrote a quick dummy shell to allow scp and
| sftp, but not anything else.  It has a minor problem and a major
| problem (that I know about), but still should work in most cases for
| most people.  The minor problem was that in a few cases, I was too
| lazy to check return codes.  That's a 10-minute fix that I'm still too
| lazy to make.  :) The major problem is that if one of the arguments to
| scp is a filename that contains a (quoted) space, the spaces will be
| treated as argument delimitors.  I didn't make much effort to do a
| whole lot of processing on the command line, so any space that appears
| in argv[2] will be treated as an argument delimitor for the command
| which is exec'd.

So which language did you use?  There may be a simple solution.  In a
lot  of  them,  just surrounding the arg in double quote ("$argv[2]")
will protect the spaces and pass the string to  the  program  as  one
argument.   Interpreters  like  perl and tcl also have simple ways of
handling this problem.