Installing multiple rpm's at once?

Ken Gosier ken at kg293.net
Sun Feb 10 11:44:18 EST 2002

Hello, slightly dangerous (for my system) quandary here:

I'm running Redhat 7.1 on an Intel machine, and I currently have the glibc
versions installed:

[ken at localhost src]$ rpm -qa | grep glibc

glibc-common-2.2.2-10
glibc-2.2.2-10
glibc-devel-2.2.2-10

I want to upgrade to glibc 2.2.4, so I got the following 3 rpm's from
redhat:

glibc-2.2.4-19.3.i386.rpm
glibc-common-2.2.4-19.3.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.2.4-19.3.i386.rpm

However, if I try to install any one of them, it reports that I already
have to have one of the others. For instance, trying glibc-common
gives:

[root at localhost src]# rpm -Uvh glibc-common-2.2.4-19.3.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        glibc < 2.2.4 conflicts with glibc-common-2.2.4-19.3
        glibc-common = 2.2.2-10 is needed by glibc-2.2.2-10

Similarly for the other two. Question: How do I get the newer rpm's
installed? The obvious thing to do would be to uninstall all 3 earlier
rpm's, then install the new 3. But, my guess is:
-- rpm wouldn't let me uninstall the previous 3, b/c so much stuff depends
on glibc
-- My system would be completely screwed if I were able to uninstall the
earlier 3.

Many thanks for any help--

--
Ken Gosier