LINUX failover between two default gateways

LINUX-User barzel at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:24:08 EST 2002

Any suggestions for failover between two default gateways?

I am setting up a RH 7.2 server (kernel 2.4.9-21smp) and need it to be
able to failover from one default gateway to another on the same
subnet.

For example:
This server is 192.168.1.10.
The two valid gateways, 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2.

I need failover so that if one gateway is down, the server will use the
other. The two gateways are Cisco routers, not LINUX servers.

The failover does not work when both routes are created with "route add
..." With or without metrics, only the first route is used.

I think I need to use iproute2 but I have not found an example of my
situation.

Any suggestions?