RTFM VMWare question

John Whitfield john_whitfield at email.com
Mon Jul 22 19:10:48 EDT 2002

 > The IBM VM is based on the use of the "Diagnose"
 > instruction, which is ... an instruction
 > operation code that actually generates an invalid
 > instruction interrupt.

 > I am not sure what an Intel based (style)
 > processor does when it hits an 'invalid'
 > instruction or how VMWare implements it.

I recall a hazy memory from Andrew Schulman's "Undocumented Windows 95" that MS used a similar technique for one of the Win95 features.  It stuck in my mind because MS copyrighted the technique which, as Schulman pointed out, was in use long before Windows.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8