strange gethostsbyname error...

Frank Ramsay fjramsay1234 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 18 09:03:17 EDT 2002

I'm down at a client site doing some troubleshooting and I've come across a
very strange gethostbyname error.  It's returning NULL on a hostname in the
/etc/hosts file.  What happens is when the remote server goes down the
client program tries to re-connect every few hundred times though it's main
loop.  The idea being it will re-connect when server comes back up.  When it
first comes up it works, but after an hour or two gethostbyname starts to
fail.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?
redhat 7.2
glibc-2.2.4-19

-fjr