Best Unix?

Anthony J. Gabrielson agabriel at home.tzo.org
Wed Jun 19 10:46:59 EDT 2002

I think I'm the only person on the list that will come to IRIX's
defense.  I like it, it takes a bit of time to lock it down and get it
running, but it runs well once it is.  I have had several SGI's, I had an
O2 and I currently run an Octane.  The Octane I have is rather old running
an R10K 200 proc with 512MB of ram but the machine is still quick.  I run
a SUN blade as a server and its looking like it will be replaced by the
Octane.  I like XFS alot more than the Sun file system for starters.  If
it looses power it comes back to life alot easier than the sun.  Its just
as stable, if not more so, than anyother UNIX I have used.  My little SGI
will run forever.  SGI played a few games with the bus on the Octane, I
don't recall an exact number but I think its around 4.2gigabytes a second
or something insanely high.  For me, thats all I really need for most of
my computers.  As long as their stable, run a few apps I need, and are
tight I'm a happy camper.

Thats all I have for IRIX.....

I like it. I also like Solaris, Tru64, OpenBSD, and Linux in no particuar
order.  What can I say, I like to be a bit different.

Anthony