large file problem in rh7.1

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Sun Mar 17 11:20:10 EST 2002

I deleted the actual note so I can't respond directly....

	If you are getting IO errors when you do the 'dd' then you
should seriously consider replacing the harddrive.  Hard drives have
lots of builtin error correction.  In modern harddrives, when the
errors start being visible to the software that often means that lots
of other blocks are already starting to go marginal.  Given the
relatively low cost of harddrives and the pain when they die, it's
often better to proactively replace them.  If nothing else,
back up any important files soon...

			   Good Luck,
			   Bill bogstad