Public DNS server?

Duane Morin dmorin at lear.morinfamily.com
Thu Feb 13 10:14:29 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Wizard wrote:
> You can also try the root server A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET (198.41.0.4) for testing
> purposes. Use it from the command line using nslookup:

This, too, gives me "DNS request timed out.  timeout was 2 seconds.  Can't
find address for server A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.:  Timed out."

Here's a theory -- will I be able to find another DNS client to run on my
XP box, instead of the default one?  Rule out that aspect of the problem.
I have to assume at this point that for some reason my XP box is
denying incoming DNS-related traffic?  Does that make sense?  It
seems like it wants to make the request, and I can ping these
machines, but I'm guessing now that XP is somehow blocking out
the very response it is waiting for.

Duane