Another find'ism

ron.peterson at yellowbank.com ron.peterson at yellowbank.com
Tue Jun 3 11:14:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:38:39PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:

> find . -type f | xargs grep -i "foo.*bar"

I'm going a little o.t., but here's a way to use 'find' if you want to
perform multiple operations on the results it returns.  Not so easy to
do w/ find's -exec option.  I was banging my head on this a little while
ago, so I thought I'd try to save someone else the frustration.

find /a/path <criteria> -print | while read FNAME; do echo ${FNAME}.xxx, ...; done

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\