What should I charge?

John Whitfield john_whitfield at email.com
Mon Sep 15 10:59:45 EDT 2003

 > I would take a job doing this fulltime for anywhere from
 > $80K to 100K.  What should I charge as an hourly rate . . .

The rule of thumb I've often heard with consulting work is that you charge roughly twice what you would make as an employee.  That's compensation for the lack of benefits and additional risk from the lack of job security.  Since the average work year is about 2000 hours that means that an $80K salary for an employee would be on par with an $80 hourly rate for an independent contractors.

It's different for employees of consulting firms, who get benefits and more job security.  They're paid more like employees.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers