(software jobs) Talented Linux Administrator

nmeyers at javalinux.net nmeyers at javalinux.net
Sun Sep 28 15:42:32 EDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 03:21:09PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> Hmm, this is the list of qualifications?
> > - load balanced and/or high availability (Linux Virtual Server) Linux
> > - analyzing networks for vulnerabilities: firewalls (iptables), (snort, tripwire),
> > - configuring Apache/PHP/MySQL/other services,
> > - building/configuring Red Hat servers
> > - shell scripting,
> > - Perl/Python, RPM, patching/configuring Linux kernels (2.4.xx)
> > - tuning Apache, PHP, MySQL (hundreds of concurrent connections).
> > - monitoring systems (Netsaint/Nagios/etc)
> > - tuning SQL queries, tables, indexes, etc. for speed
> > - development experience with PHP, Perl, and/or Python
> > - networks/servers for performance and identifying bottlenecks
> > - excellent communication skills with developers and non-technical users.
>
> And y'all wonder why I got the H*CK out of the tech industry.  I have 20 years
> of experience, and couldn't come close to qualifying for this position.  What
> is it that employers really want today?...
>
> Am I just all wet, or what?

No, you're not wet. Ridiculous checklists like this were my least favorite
part of being an unemployed dot-bomb survivor a couple of years ago.

The most memorable requirements were those calling for X years of Java
experience or Y years of Linux experience where, working out the math,
you had to have invented that technology (or its precursor) to be
properly qualified.

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers at javalinux.net