emacs question: suppressing backslashes

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Aug 27 10:43:01 EDT 2004

I have an emacs question, and am hoping there is a guru out there.

When I run emacs in a text window (using the -nw flag) wrapped long
lines display with backslashes at the end.  Is there a way to turn
that off?

The reason I ask is I have found it convenient to use screen (which is
like running in a terminal window) and I want to be able to cut and
paste.  But if I use my mouse to copy a long line from an emacs window
I get extra backslashes in my paste, upsetting other programs.
Suppressing those backslashes would avoid that.  Is there some option
to do this?

Thanks,

-kb