Getting started w/ Debian

Matthew Valites mvalites at banta-im.com
Tue Jul 20 11:34:00 EDT 2004

> Honestly, I didn't even use rpm a lot - preferring to compile everything
> from source. Maybe it's because I like more control over the system
> layout, but that is neither here nor there. I'm happy to learn whatever
> I need.

You can compile packages from source as well.  apt-get source
<package_name> will do it for you.  These are source packages with
debian specific patches applied.  I suggest checking out the apt howto
to get a broader feel for how debian's package management works:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

~Matt