Getting started w/ Debian

Tue Jul 20 11:37:50 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 11:28, Matthew Valites wrote:
> > Hmmm, this is a big selling point of Knoppix for me. The latest version
> occur due to the branch being "unstable" are usually posted here:
> http://www.debianplanet.com

That site has so few updates. I think of lot of us prefer to get closer to the
50 yard line as well, at the debian LJ:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/debian/

> You can do an "apt-get -u upgrade" to find out what packages will be
> upgraded at which point you can decide to "hold" them, look up whether
> there's any problems, etc.
>
> Once your system is installed, edit /etc/apt-sources and replace stable
> with testing/unstable (depending on your decision).  Note that the
> security updates don't affect unstable (I'm pretty sure they affect
> testing, but I'm not 100% positive) so you'll have to comment that line
> out.  Run apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade and you should be
> set.

From the little I know, you are not supposed to mix the two of
testing/unstable. Testing has weird lag times, and unstable moves quickly, so
they often get out of sync. Sticking with just unstable will give you all the
security stuff if it made it upstream into the source package like a salmon
swimming back to its home.