Fedora and socket binding

Duane Morin dmorin at lear.morinfamily.com
Wed Mar 10 11:08:04 EST 2004

It appaers that Fedora is keeping me from listening on any sockets.  I
wrote a simple Java app:

System.out.println("Init...");
s = new ServerSocket(x);
while (true) {
  System.out.println("Listening...");
  s.accept();
  System.out.println("Received.");
}

where x is a tweakable param.

But whenever I run it I only ever see "Init...", no matter what port I
try.  80 is the port in question, but I've tried others above and below
1024.  It actually surprises me because I would have expected it to create
the object ok and then throw an exception when attempting to accept any
connections.

I copied the program to another machine, it did exactly as expected -- 80
was denied (running as user, not root), 2444 was accepted and listening
happily.

Anybody know what Fedora is running that is keeping me from opening a
simple server socket?  It's really quite annoying to have worked out all
my hardware issues and not still not be able to get any work done.
How would I know if something like ipchains was running?  There's nothing
in the process table that suggests that it is.  Netstat is reporting
nothing of interest.

Thanks!!

Duane