Fedora = molasses sound?

Zack Cerza zcerza at coe.neu.edu
Wed Mar 10 13:00:01 EST 2004

On Tue March 9 2004 23:44, Duane Morin wrote:
> I thought the problem was with mplayer and that perhaps I would need to
> recompile, but xmms and sndconfig both did it as well.

What kernel are you on? What sound drivers are being used? When I switched to
2.6 and ALSA wasn't working, OSS was a tad slow - then I got ALSA working and
the foolish aRts decided to use ALSA's OSS emulation, which made things even
slower. So I forced it to use straight ALSA and it's all good now.

Granted, when I say "slow" I mean "using way too much cpu" and not "literally
playing slowly" but if all sound players are affected, I'd recommend looking
at the next lower level.

Zack