Laptop recommendations

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri May 14 09:36:55 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 01:44, David Kramer wrote:
> So I want to buy a high-end laptop (probably below $2,000).  I know there's a
> few sites that cover linux on laptops, but they often contain coflicting
> information and views.  I would rather solicit information from people I
> know.  Features and speed are more important than size or battery life.
>
> Has anyone bought a laptop and put Linux on it recently?

Hi David,

I'm fond of the IBM ThinkPads (this email is being composed on an A31p
running RH 9).  And I know a number of people who've had little or no
trouble installing Linux on recent ThinkPad models including those in
the T, X, R, and (recently discontinued) A series.  Theres a wealth of
good information at:

  http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html

And if you'd like to get a new laptop and want to avoid doing the
install (and/or worrying about whether a particular hardware feature
will work or not), you can always purchase a pre-installed Linux laptop
from a vendor such as:

  http://www.emperorlinux.com/

who do have a few systems in your price range.

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD