[blu] Re: Laptop recommendations

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 14 12:43:56 EDT 2004

   From: Ben Jackson <bbj at innismir.net>
   Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:36:59 -0400 (EDT)

   Remember, Inspirons aren't the only laptops Dell makes. I hate
   Inspirons.  I hate them with a passion, for all the reasons stated
   in this thread.  However, Dell Latitudes are the best thing since
   Sliced bread. They don't suffer from most of the shortcomings that
   the Inspirons do, and they are smaller and lighter. I order them
   exclusively for work, and have one for my peronal laptop.

There's no question that the build fit and finish of the I8K leaves
room for improvement.  I've had to replace the cover due to the hinge
breaking.  However, it's a rather easy laptop to repair, and it has a
lot of capability for the money.

   That being said, if you can afford it, go with a Thinkpad, they are
   the Rolls Royce of laptops. Dell Latitudes are just really nice
   Cadillacs.

Inspirons are the Dodge Ram pickups, then :-)

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton