Windows Audio Problem (end of story)

edwardp at operamail.com edwardp at operamail.com
Sun May 16 11:41:03 EDT 2004

People "in the know" have told me previously that a hard drive with the NTFS file system does NOT have to be defragged.  Guess they weren't too much "in the know"...  I ran the defrag utility under XP, discovered that the XP partition was 45% fragmented and it recommended a defrag.

After the defrag completed, I launched Windows Media Player to check the status of the previously-mentioned audio problem, and although the problem remained, it was not as severe after the defrag.  I still feel this is a software issue as the problem is non-existent under Linux on the same hardware.

So, I have decided to use Windows only to update the anti-virus software and for any required interaction with the ISP in the event of loss of connection.