OT: Paypal's buyer-"protection" process

Josh ChaitinPollak josh at offthehill.org
Thu Dec 29 10:55:52 EST 2005

On Dec 29, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Rich Braun wrote:

> In order to continue with the investigation of your claim, we must
> request
> documentation to support your claim that the item is damaged or
> significantly not as described.  Please obtain a document (such as
> an estimate
> or invoice) from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer; repair
> shop,
> appraiser, or another individual or organization that is qualified
> in the area
> of the item in question (other than yourself), which details the
> extent of the
> damage or clearly explains how the item received

I would interpret the last three lines of this to say that anyone
capable of determining the monitor is broken is 'qualified'. Have a
friend or co-worker try it out, see that its broken, and then write
an affidavit. That would probably satisfy them.

I agree, PayPal sucks. You could make payments via credit card
through PayPal, and then when you have problems with PayPal, you
could go to the credit card company.