Recommended Distro for Web Applications

Steve Seremeth blu_discuss at seremeth.com
Thu Feb 3 13:02:49 EST 2005

As an admin who is supporting production, development, and QA systems,
the _last_ thing I want it for developers or the like with a different
distro than what I have deployed to production.  Not only for stability
reasons (their code has to run the same everywhere), but IMHO there's
just about nothing worse than a developer pushing you to install some
completely unstable bleeding-edge binary (think Fedora or some other
distro that has new-ish binaries in it) everywhere just because he
discovered it will do the one obscure thing he is interested in right now.

And it's _critical_ that QA run the same bits as what's installed in
your production environment on the same hardware whenever possible.
Want to get blamed for bad code in a hurry?  Run a _different_ OS in
production.