Server, interrupted.

Gregory Boyce gboyce at badbelly.com
Wed Jan 26 15:21:29 EST 2005

> Never heard those terms before.  The limited STFW I could do at work
> indicates that those terms are associated with multiprocessor boxen, which
> mine isn't.

APIC = Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller.  There are local apics
and IO-apics, but I'm not sure what the difference is.  Basically the APIC
handles interrupts for the system taking some load off of the CPU.

IO-APICs are required for SMP, but can also be used in single processor
systems.  There are apparently a wide variety of problems that can be
resolved by either enabling or disabling the APIC due to problems with
various motherboards.