comcast blocking smtp25

Don Levey lug at the-leveys.us
Fri Jul 15 09:40:44 EDT 2005

discuss-bounces at blu.org wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just setup sendmail on my home linux box and I know
> comcast is blocking smtp 25.
> What's the option or what I need to do so I can send
> mail from my linux box?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D

Comcast is *not* blocking outbound port 25, at least not universally.  The
vast amounts of Comcast-based dynamic IP spam that I'm getting is evidence
of that.  I set up my access db to block all of that (from all 50 states)
because Comcast couldn't be bothered to.

To send mail from a blocking ISP (such as RCN), here's the line to add to
your sendmail.mc file (assuming you use the .mc system):

	define:(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.rcn.com')dnl

Note the back-ticks.  That seems to translate in sendmail.cf into:

	DSsmtp.rcn.com

I believe there is another line you'll need to set up to receive mail from
non-localhost sources, but I can't recall at the moment.  I think someone
else posted the .cf line, but I don't know what .mc line that would
correspond to.

 -Don