kernel panic error: no init found

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sat Mar 12 02:16:48 EST 2005

Dave Peters wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I use ghost 8.0 to ghost redhat linux 7.2 from one
> scsi to another scsi and the following error:
> pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd)
> failed: 2
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option
> to kernel
> Any ideals? and help?

Without any other information, I am guessing that the SCSI address of the
new drive is different than the SCSI address of the old drive (or are on a
different controller), so the device specifications in the /boot directory
don't match the device name of the new disk.

I would either boot off some other disk (maybe a live cd?) and look in the
/boot directory, or move the jumpers so this disk has the same SCSI address
as the disk it's replacing.