Networking

dsr at tao.merseine.nu dsr at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Nov 30 10:06:40 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:45:05AM -0500, M Smith wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good book on both tcp and networking, I know the basics
> but I need to learn more switching routing and all that math that goes with
> subnetting.

One of the best all-around books is by Doug Comer:
Internetworking With TCP/IP Volume 1: Principles Protocols, and
Architecture, 5th edition, 2006. ISBN 0-13-187671-6

If you need more depth after that:

Volume II is a discussion of how TCP/IP actually works in a real
implementation.

Volume III is the "how to program classic network apps" and is
available in different versions for BSD sockets, Windows
sockets, and (probably most useful overall) the POSIX sockets
implementation.

-dsr-