A Ubuntu success story

Doug dougsweetser at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 15:14:53 EDT 2005

Hello:

I bought the digital camera that Josh wrote about to this newsgroups
earlier in the week.  The camera rocks, and the cosmetic problem with the
glass plate on the LCD on a functional level is a non-issue.  So I took my
first batch of pictures for a few web site icons and tried to get my
Debian distribution to recognize the USB mass storage device.  I could see
the module had been loaded, but was not sure how to mount it.  I started
reading a few Howto's, but was running into the usual situation, trying to
figure out how to best word my question to discuss at blu.org.

I also had a Ubuntu live CD, so decided to give that a spin.  It took
about 4 minutes to load, a half dozen hits of the entry key, but the OS
recognized the camera.  I mounted my hard drive (sudo /dev/hda5 /mnt, but
perhaps there is an easier way), and copied my pictures over.  Rebooting
was even smart in that the system ejected the CD.  I am considering
switching my distribution from Debian to Ubuntu.

doug