The $100 laptop closer to reality

Ben Jackson bbj at innismir.net
Thu Sep 29 10:47:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:36:17AM -0400, Ben Jackson wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, David Kramer wrote:
> > > Some beautiful pictures too.
> > > http://beta.news.com.com/The+100+laptop+moves+closer+to+reality/2100-1044_3-5884683.html
> > > This thing is SO hot.  I would buy one for close to twice the price.
> >
> > Ditto. This thing seems quite similar to the laptop Romney was touting
> > last week for deployment to the schools. I didn't watch the news
> > conference, just caught a quick glimpse of it on the news. Does anyone
> > know if it's the same one?
>
> Yes, it is the same one.
> (And yes, Thritto.)

Ah, cool. :)

I checked out their web page (http://laptop.media.mit.edu/) and was
oogling, they expect to be shipping by mid-2007 with everything kicked
into high gear mid-2008. However, my hopes of picking one up to fiddle
with were dashed with the following statement:

"Please note: these laptops are not in production. They are not --and will
not be-- available for purchase by individuals."

Kind of silly, don't you think? I'm not talking about being a greedy
bastard either (Although I /do/ want one.). There are lots of people on
low incomes who would be intrested in purchasing one of these, I assume.

Maybe I'll pick up one of those AMD cube things. those seem neat too. I
wonder if they are shipping.

*shrug*

				~Ben