The $100 laptop closer to reality

Thu Sep 29 11:16:26 EDT 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 11:17 am, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Ben Jackson wrote:
> For $100 you can have the laptop, and then with the pdf version of a
> text book for $25ish and always have the most up to date version - thats
> great.  Seems like a good way to go to me.  Do students these days really
> write past the fifth grade?  In a day where I have read that many
> universities consider undergrad libraries obsolete, this seems a logical
> progression.

Yes, logical if you want the dumbest kids in the world.

Why are American kids getting dumber? Instead of technology being pushed into
every crevice, we need some research that conclusively says where it's
needed, and where an actual book is better. Mostly, this is going to be used
for IM to other kids. Of course, some of them are going to learn more with a
laptop, and I guess we'll just depend on those kids making it to adulthood to
run the country.

The book monopoly/lobby/scam-artists are never, ever going to allow a 25
dollar, self-updating PDF file. Forget that dream, when they are making
100-150 per book, per student, per class. No way are they going to ditch
*that* revenue-stream.

Remember, all the great achievements in nearly every subject have all been
achieved with actual books teaching actual students. Kepler didn't have the
newest Toshiba. Galileo didn't IM his buddies to tell them about the bowling
ball experiment and Copernicus didn't leave a .doc attachment saying he
wanted to posthumously publish his works.

We need more teachers that are held to higher standards while making more
money, teaching fewer kids, not throwing technology against the wall and
hoping something sticks. We *have* the solutions to the sliding scale in this
country and it's green, hires more teachers with horn-rimmed glasses actually
*sitting* with students until they get it.

Who is going to teach the teachers to use these magical laptops? Who is going
to make them crack/hack-proof? What kind of IT infrastructure will this
introduce? What happens when a worm is develops that races through the
monoculture of non-updated laptops with WiFi? No no, don't do any research
into it, just buy some cheaper laptops. That's the answer. A third of these
kids are failing the MCAS Math portion, so let's get them IM'ing with their
friends. That'll solve the problem. Hey, on a camping trip with boring
parents? Use that crank to power your 4-hour IM session to Susie about what
Reese Witherspoon was wearing at the Oscar's...and how she looked "So cute"
in those shoes. ;-)

I'm 27 and I'm as technical as you can imagine. I owe nearly everything I know
to people smarter and more patient than I am...and to books.

Of course, I'm not a kid, and I would buy two of these things in a second.
And of course, this is all just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

http://beta.news.com.com/The+100+laptop+moves+closer+to+reality/2100-1044_3-5884683.html