SSH timeouts

Jerry Feldman gerald.feldman at hp.com
Thu Apr 6 09:03:16 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:37 am, gboyce wrote:

> Have you tried decreasing /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time?
>
> If it times out after 15 minutes, setting tcp_keepalive_time to 840 (14
> minutes), could keep your connection alive.
I changed the subject on this.
From my desk at work (SuSE 10.0 retail/Linux COE) I can maintain a
connection to home and the 2 BLU servers for days (I am currently connected
for over 1 week to both). My connection at work goes through a proxy
server.

From home (SuSE 10.0 retail) via a Linksys WRT54GX4 I get disconnected after
a fairly short time. My desktop uses a wired connection through the router.

My settings in ~/.ssh are the same for both my home and my work systems
except for known_hosts and authorized_keys (obviously).
A while back, my connections to the Red Hat 7.1 host would remain up but my
connection to the Fedora Core 2 host would time out after a few hours.

One thing I have not had the time to do is to run ssh in verbose mode and
see if I can track the problem. It's not really much more than a minor
irritant since I use public key authentication.

--
Jerry Feldman <gerald.feldman at hp.com>
Linux Expertise Center (PTAC-MA/TX)

508-467-4315 (http://www.testdrive.hp.com)