<homer> Stupid network! </homer>

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sun Apr 16 23:49:12 EDT 2006

Paul Baumgardner wrote:
> Don't you need to have wireles hub on a different IP range for routing?
>
> On my server setup I have the LAN nic on 192.168.0.1  that connects to
> a hub for all my wired PC's and then I have a wireless NIC (server is
> an AP)  that is 192.168.1.1 for my laptops, etc.

Ding!  That was it.

Somehow I didn't think of that, because I figured the router would deal
with the separate networks correctly.

So now I have the internal side of the WRT54G as 192.168.2, and it all
works.  When I've destressed a little, I might change the internal on
the server to 192.168.0 and internal on the WRT54G as 192.168.1, simply
because I've been using 192.168.1 for eons.  But at least now I know it
should work.

Since on my old computer, I just used a WAP, I didn't have this issue,
This is why it's importaint for Software Engineers to not pretend
they're Systems Administrators, UI Desigers, or Graphic Artists.

Thank you.