Scathing review of the Nokia 770

david at thekramers.net david at thekramers.net
Mon Apr 17 13:05:48 EDT 2006

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/15/AR2006041500125.html

I'm glad I read this review, as it was quite informative for me.  It
really says "this is a really good toy, but don't rely on it to do really
practical productivity functions.  And that's a shame.

The one thing I disagree with is he criticizes it for not having a
cellphone built in, coming from Nokia.  I heard someone from Nokia speak
about the 770 at LinuxWorld, and they had a very good answer to that.
Cell phone devices are *VERY* heavily regulated, and the manufacturer must
ensure that the device cannot be modded once home to do illegal things
(not that they always succeed in this).  If they put a cellphone in the
770, they would have had to limit its flexibility, and certainly would not
have allowed users to flash whatever software they want on it.