controlling DHCP

James R. Van Zandt jrvz at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 19:30:47 EDT 2006

David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
>   ... a better solution to the problem is this:  run an
>   internal DNS server on your LAN, and your problem is solved.

Right.  Simple job for a Linux box, though I've been trying to leave
mine off to save power & wear and tear.  However, my router (Linksys
WRT54GS, firmware v2.07.1) is *already* a Linux box.  I guess I have
to install third party firmware to get DNS running there.  Anybody
have experience with this?

By the way, the other reason to leave local machines DHCP rather than
static, is that when the cable company moves their DNS servers, your
machines get reconfigured automatically.

            - Jim Van Zandt