Compiling a custom kernel vs. compiling a single module.

Fred fred at planetaryserver.com
Mon Dec 4 07:01:01 EST 2006

Can you not set up the tape drivers to compile separately as modules, and
just use modprobe to load them once the kernel boots? That way, you'll have
no need to twiddle around with the kernel compile scripts themselves. Of
course, any support modules that your tape driver may need -- if any -- will
need to be configured in the kernel.

Then you'll want to edit /etc/modprobe.conf and possibly make some
changes/additions to /etc/sysconfig so that the module properly loads and is
configured.

--Fred

On Monday 04 December 2006 06:27, jbk uttered thusly:

--
--Fred Mitchell
  Planetary Server

believed to be clean.