dump instead of dd for imaging?

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 18 19:01:59 EST 2006

I'm working on ways to produce an image of a Linux machine with the Grub
boot loader, and place the image on an SMB network share.

I've successfully done so with dd, but another admin highly recommends
using dump, to verify mbr preservation.   I've never used dump for this.

What would be the recommended command line to use dump?

My dd command is:

dd if=/dev/hda | gzip -c | split -b 2000m - /mnt/smb_share/backup.img.gz

courtesy of http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd

I've successfully created the image with the above, then successfully
restore via:

cat /mnt/smb_share/backup.img.gz.* | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/hda

I do this booting from a CentOS 4.4 Live CD.

What would be the equivalent for dump?

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.