Minimalist laptop

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Fri Jan 6 22:21:01 EST 2006

Back when nights were bold and Linux was under 2.x for a version, I ran
Linux with X as a web and file server on a 32M Intel 16MHz 386SX without co-
processor.  Can you say painfully slow.  It took 24 hours or so to re-
compile the kernel.  Starting up X was 30 wall clock minutes.  Other than to
say I did it, I ran with ascii virtual terminals.  Normal reboot would take
15 minutes (X did not start by default).

Before dsl it ran weavedial to connect us to our ISP on a dedicated phone
line.  That turned into our kids line when DSL came.  Never could cut
expenses somehow. ;)

It ran as a firewall, cacheing proxy and casheing dns server for many years
for our home network (another linux and 4 winders systems).  Using the web
proxy I could keep an eye on where my kids went on the internet.  I could
ssh into it from the other end, and even played ascii based games on it.
Power supply and disk drive finall failed, and Linksys came out with a
reasonable firewall and 4port switch so my old machine found the dumpster.

But it can be done.  You just don't want to.

Sorry for the nestalga.