slow ssh connections on LAN

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 23:16:47 EDT 2006

I have a LAN with two Gigabit switches (Linksys + Netgear) with at
least CAT-5 cabling (maybe 5e but not CAT 6.)  Transfers using "scp"
between two Linux hosts average 3.9MB/s.  All NICs are 100BT except
for one Gigabit NIC so I should not expect Gigabit speeds but I do
expect 100BT speeds.   I have also noticed that "ssh" logins usually
take a long time (10-15 seconds).  What could be the problem?  How
should I go about diagnosing it?  What tools should I use?  The LAN
has a mix of Linux, Mac, Windows and VOIP systems.