Hard drive / mouse serial number retrieval?

Chris Ball cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 15:43:48 EDT 2006

Scott,

   > Is there any program which can retrieve the hardware serial number
   > of a hard drive, and possibly of a mouse?  From what I could see,
   > dmidecode, lspci, and dmesg all did not provide this info.

I'm guessing you mean model number, rather than each device's own serial
number; there would be no reason to put the serial number of a mouse in
firmware.

My model numbers are both shown in dmesg, but also available from sysfs:

havoc:cjb~ % cat /sys/class/scsi_device/0:0:0:0/device/{model,rev}
HDT722525DLA380
V44O

havoc:cjb~ % cat /sys/class/usb_device/usbdev2.3/device/product
TouchStream ST/LP

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://blog.printf.net/>