i18n

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 17:17:34 EST 2006

Nicholas Bodley wrote:

>  I know that glibc is quite important, likely one of the
> most-important and basic libraries; however, I'd welcome a brief
> comment (or a link to go to) about what it does, if that's not a big
> challenge!  TIA...

GNU libc
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/

BTW - One of the most powerful features of Mac OS X (and it's ancestor
NextStep) is the NSText class (and related classes) in the
ApplicationKit API.  The NSText class is what makes OS X applications
easy to localize.  It supports East Asian, Arabic/Hebrew (right to left
scripts), etc... natively.  It was a monster to program but the results
are fantastic.  Nearly all OS X apps use it for everything from simple
text fields (shared text object) or whole documents.  As a result, you
can enter text in any language nearly anywhere in an app and copy/paste
it to other apps, print it, etc...

NSText
http://www.toodarkpark.org/computers/objc/AppKit/Classes/NSText.html