List changes? Receiving messages "to" me?

Derek Atkins warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 12:24:38 EDT 2007

I'd rather you punish the innocent AOL subscribers... Or maybe make
the list only send out the 'To' to AOL subscribers... Or give the
rest of us a way to turn it off.  This breaks SO MANY list filters
it's not funny!

PLEASE change it back.

-derek

Quoting John Abreau <john.abreau-3flU0AWMlV4AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like some configuration changed on the list recently,
>> where all messages sent to the list arrive to me with me
>> explicitly in the "To" field.   Um.... How do I turn that off
>> for me?
>>

> The BLU server hosts over 30 lists for various user groups, and we've
> had problems with a number of AOL users who would report list traffic
> to AOL and claim it was spam, and BLU.ORG started getting added
> to various RBL lists as a result. We're assuming these idiots were
> too lazy to unsubscribe themselves properly, and were using AOL's
> spam reporting mechanism as an alternative.
>
> We signed up for a tracking service that AOL provided so we could
> see what was being reported, and we used that to remove the offending
> parties. But then AOL started stripping the offender's identity, so we
> were unable to determine who to unsubscribe.
>
> The changes to Mailman that now send a separate copy to each
> subscriber were done to make it possible to unsubscribe the
> offenders. The only other way we could think of to deal with this
> would be to ban all AOL users from all the lists, which would punish
> a lot of innocent bystanders.
>
> --
> John Abreau
> IT Manager
> Zuken USA
> 238 Littleton Rd., Suite 100
> Westford, MA 01886
> T: 978-392-1777            F: 978-692-4725
> M: 978-764-8934
> E: John.Abreau-3flU0AWMlV4AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org  W: www.zuken.com

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available

believed to be clean.