ODT to text conversion

Bob - BLU blu at scrunch.net
Fri May 4 10:39:05 EDT 2007

On 05/02/07 13:49, Bob - BLU wrote:
> I'm trying to put together a Linux command-line tool chain to convert
> OpenOffice.org odt (odf) files to ascii text files while preserving some
> basic text formatting....

Thanks to all those whom replied.  Since my requirements where very narrow and minimal I opted to write a script that simply rips through the document at the string/character level, extracts, formats and prints out what I want (it's nice that xml is ascii).  Not a very sexy or extensible solution, but simple and fast.

Next time I have to redo this I'll look into programming with xslt and using xsltproc to grok it:

  http://books.evc-cit.info/odbook/apb.html
  http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/xsltproc2.html

believed to be clean.