Simple HDTV viewer?

Jarod Wilson jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 15:58:43 EDT 2007

On Sep 04, 2007, at 12:33, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 12:06:08PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> I recently learned QAM permits viewing of unencrypted HD channels
>> from
>> cable.   The 950 USB stick I got does not support that.   In light of
>> the fact it doesn't do what I want, I was able to sell it to a co-
>> worker.
>>
>> What are people's experiences with the LG OnAir GT?  It does
>> support QAM,
>> something I was looking for, and now know about.
>
> How about an HDHomeRun?
>
> - not a USB device -- it's an ethernet device
> - no funky kernel drivers
> - two tuners, which can independently be in QAM or OTA mode
> - and can be accessed by two computers independently, or both to
>   one.
> - and an IR receiver at which you can point a remote control
> - $130.

I second the nomination. I've got one myself, nice toy.

>> How about such tuners on cable vs FIOS, if I wanted to watch HD
>> channels
>> on a PC in a den or other room and opt for FIOS?.
>
> I hear VZ's FIOS provides QAM.

They do indeed. I've got FiOS TV at home now. Both my HDHomeRun and
DVB cards can pull video off it just fine. Only thing that sort of
sucks about it is that only the bare minimum of channels are carried
in analog (i.e., just abc, nbc, cbs, stuff you can get w/rabbit
ears), so you *need* a cable box to watch (and record) things like
sci-fi, comedy central, cartoon network, etc.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org