feed the recruiters?

Seth Gordon sethg-Dp9fwfP21SfQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 11:43:43 EDT 2007

So every few weeks, it seems, I get email from a recruiter, or my wife
gets a phone call from one, and I have this little internal dialogue:

"I love my job and have no interest in looking for another one,
especially since any job I get through a recruiter is likely to suck
more than a job I would get through networking."

"But maybe I should talk to the guy anyway, just to maintain a
relationship.  I mean, sure, I like my job *now*, but I can't predict if
or when my boss will grow pointy hair or the VCs decide to cash in their
chips and go home or some competitor comes out of nowhere and drives us
out of business or..."

"If I ever need to get a job through a recruiter, they will try to match
me up with jobs that they think are compatible with my resume, whether
or not I've had any contact with them in the past.  The only thing
meeting them *now* will accomplish is that it will encourage them to
waste even more of my time by dangling their latest hot leads in front
of me."

Who is right--me, or me?

believed to be clean.